Red Fruit Pudding
This is Germany's national dessert.
- 2 cups German red currant fruit juice
- 2 cups German raspberry juice
- 1 strip
- 1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Mosel wine
- 6 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or additional wine
- Whipped cream
red currants (for garnish)
- Fresh raspberries (for garnish)
- Combine fruit juices in a large, heavy-based saucepan; add lemon peel and heat
- Dissolve cornstarch in wine and stir a few spoonsful of the hot juice into
the mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan, whisking continuously. Bring to
a boil and stir until thickened.
- Add sugar to taste and simmer gently until the
sugar dissolves completely.
- When the mixture thickens and clears, remove it from the heat and add lemon juice
or additional white wine.
- Pour into a large glass serving bowl or individual dessert
glasses and chill until set.
- To serve, pipe or spoon whipped cream on the top and decorate with fresh red
currants and raspberries.