Roggenbrot (German Rye Bread)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 1/4 cups rye flour, unsifted
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour, unsifted
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl combine milk, sugar, and salt.
- Use a mixer to beat in molasses, butter, yeast mixture and 1 cup of rye flour.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining rye flour.
- Add white flour by stirring until the dough is stiff enough to knead.
- Knead for 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as needed.
If the dough sticks to your hands or the board add more flour.
- Cover dough and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until double.
- Punch down dough and divide to form 2 round loaves.
- Let loaves rise on a greased baking sheet until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Makes 2 round loaves
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 1/13/2002 2:34 pm.
Source: german recipes - adfoto.net