Sachertorte (Chocolate Torte — Austria)
This recipe was invented by Franz Sacher, once a Viennese court cook. Viennese
homemakers like to bake a Sachertorte to accompany afternoon coffee, and they usually
serve it decorated with whipped cream.
- 5 ounces sweet chocolate, broken into small chunks
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/4 cups
sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler.
- Add butter, stirring until melted.
egg yolks, beating constantly.
- Add sugar and beat until well mixed. Cool.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold in chocolate mixture and flour alternately.
- Pour into greased 8-inch square pan lined with greased wax paper.
- Bake at 325 degrees
F for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
from pan. Cool.
- Melt jam over hot water. Spread on top of cake.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Frosting: Melt chocolate over hot water. Remove from heat; add sugar and water and beat
until well blended.
- Using a wire whisk, beat mixture into egg.
- Add egg yolk and
- Add butter, a tablespoon at a time, beating constantly. Spread on top of the
- Cool and serve.