- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup potato water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups bread flour
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shortening
- Cake: Thoroughly mix potato and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm potato water;
add to potato and sugar mixture. Cover; let set in warm place about 3 hours.
- Pour boiling water on saffron.
- Bring milk to a boil.
- Add shortening, egg, sugar and salt.
- Carefully drain saffron water into this mixture (save saffron for Crumbs).
- When lukewarm, add yeast mixture and 4 cups flour. Beat well.
- Cover; let rise until bubbly, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add remaining flour or enough to make a dough that can be kneaded until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise about 4 hours or until double in bulk.
- Roll about 1/3 inch thick and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Brush tops with butter, cream or beaten egg.
- Cover with Crumb Mixture.
- Crumb Mixture: Mix ingredients well with hands.
- Let rise for about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes four 9-inch cakes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> German Recipes