Sauerbraten with Red Cabbage
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup Burgundy wine*
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 whole allspice
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 (4 pound) rump or boned chuck pot roast
- All-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium head red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tart red cooking apples
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed gingersnaps
- In large bowl, mix 1 cup vinegar, wine, onion, carrot, celery, allspice, cloves,
salt and pepper.
- Wipe meat with damp paper towels. Place in marinade, refrigerate,
covered 2 days, turning occasionally.
- Remove meat from marinade. Reserve marinade. Dry meat on paper towels. Coat with
2 tablespoons of flour.
- In hot oil in Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown meat all
over, turning with a wooden spoon, for about 20 minutes.
- Add marinade, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer covered 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare cabbage. Discard outer leaves, quarter cabbage, remove core.
Shred cabbage. Measure 10 cups.
- In large skillet, combine with salt, butter, vinegar,
sugar, 1/2 cup water, cook covered over medium heat, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Core apples, but do not pare. Slice apples thin, then stir into cabbage. Set aside
until just before serving.
- When meat is fork-tender, remove from Dutch oven. Press liquid and vegetables
through coarse sieve; skim off fat. Measure 3 1/2 cups liquid (add water if needed).
- Return liquid to Dutch oven.
- Mix 2 tablespoons flour with 1/3 cup cold water
and 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir into liquid, bring to boiling, stirring. Stir in gingersnaps.
- Return meat to the Dutch oven. Spoon the gravy over it, then simmer, covered, for
- Cook cabbage and apples 10 minutes, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour. Cook
and stir until thickened. Cabbage is tender, but crisp.
- Remove meat and cabbage to hot platter.
- Serve with German Spaetzle. Pour some of gravy over it.
- Serve meat, thinly sliced, with gravy.
Serves 6 to 8.