This is wonderful served with potato pancakes or potato dumplings and red cabbage.
- 1 boneless rump roast (about 4 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
- 24 crushed gingersnaps (1 1/2 cups crumbs)
- Trim meat of all but a thin layer of fat. Place in a large glass bowl.
- Add water,
vinegar, sugar, onion, celery, salt, pepper and pickling spices to bowl, stirring
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 or 5 days, turning meat each day.
- Remove meat from marinade; reserve marinade; pat meat dry with paper toweling.
- Heat shortening in Dutch oven. Brown meat on all sides (about 15 minutes).
- Remove fat from pan.
- Pour marinade over meat.
- Roast uncovered at 350 degrees
F for 30 minutes.
- Cover; continue roasting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours longer, or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to platter.
- Strain marinade; remove fat and return marinade to pan.
- Stir in gingersnap crumbs. Heat until thickened; strain again.
- Slice meat and serve with gravy.