(Black Forest Cake)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling, chilled
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs, flour, milk, baking soda, cocoa, red
food coloring and vanilla extract. Blend on low, scraping constantly.
- Beat for 3 minutes on high speed.
- Pour into two 9-inch round cake pans that have been greased and floured.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Cool thoroughly.
- Whip heavy cream with confectioners' sugar.
- Slice each cake round horizontally to make four layers. Place one layer on flat
plate. Fill pastry bag with whipped cream and pipe a generous ring around edge of
cake layer. Fill exposed ring of cake with cherry pie filling. Place third layer
on top, and frost entire cake with whipped cream.
- Crumble the fourth layer into fine crumbs and sprinkle on sides of cake.
- Using whipped cream, pipe 12 rosettes on top of cake and top each with a maraschino
- Garnish the center top of cake with the rest of the chocolate crumbs.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 1/14/2002 4:12 pm.