Spicy Honey Cake
(Wuerziger Honigkuchen — Germany)
- 6 ounces honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Zest from a half lemon, ground
- 1 pound flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Whole blanched almonds (for decoration)
- Bring honey to a boil, let cool.
- Add eggs, sugar, and spices to cooled honey, beat well.
- Add the flour mixed with baking powder, one spoon full at a time.
- Roll dough onto lightly greased baking sheet. If sticky, dust with some flour. Mark 2-inch
squares with the back of a knife. Place an almond in the middle of each square.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- For glaze, boil 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons water for one
minute. Brush onto still-warm cake. Let cool.
- Cut cake into squares and store in airtight canister or tin.