Springerle (German Anise Cookies)
Pennsylvania Dutch call them Schpringerkuche (springer cakes).
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 10 drops anise oil
- 2 tablespoons aniseed
- Add sugar gradually to well beaten eggs and continue to beat for 15 minutes with
electric mixer, or 30 minutes with rotary beater.
- Add anise oil and blend into mixture.
Gradually add sifted flour and stir until a smooth, stiff dough is formed. Chill
dough in refrigerator.
- Roll out on lightly floured board to 1/4 inch thickness. Roll with a springerle
roller or on a springerle board to make designs. Press firmly and cut on line of
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with aniseed and let stand in a cool place overnight to dry.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 3 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees F for about
12 minutes longer.
- When baked, these cookies should be light in color and appear frosted.
- Keep cookies in a tightly covered can for 2 or 3 weeks before using.
- To soften, put an apple in container a day or so before they are served.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.