Steamed Pudding (John in the Pocket)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup orange peel
- Salt, to taste
- Scald milk, then cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
- Add egg and milk and yeast mixture to the flour. Dough will be sticky.
- Work in the raisins, currants, orange peel and salt.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle a clean wet cloth with some flour. Tie dough into cloth,
place in boiling water and simmer 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove from cloth.
- To serve, slice pudding and spread with melted butter and brown sugar.