Whoopie Pies (Pennsylvania Dutch)
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or butter
- 2 cups granulated
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk soured with
1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup hot coffee or water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable shortening (white)
- 1/4 pound butter
- Cream shortening and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the eggs,
one at a time.
- In another bowl, sift the flour with the cocoa, salt, and baking
soda. Gradually add this to the creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk.
- Mix in the hot coffee or water.
- Drop the batter in teaspoonsful onto greased cookie
sheets, spacing them about 3 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven
for 8 minutes.
- Remove to wax paper until all the cookies have been baked.
- For the filling, beat the egg whites until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the vanilla extract,
milk, sugar and flour.
- Add the shortening and butter and beat until very fluffy.
- Place a generous tablespoon of filling on the flat side of one cookie.
- Top with another cookie; they should look like yo-yos.
Makes about 48 to 60 Whoopie Pies.
These freeze well if wrapped individually.