Bannock Bread (Scottish)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1/2 cup water to make a thick dough
- Mix dry ingredients together well. Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender.
- Mix in the water and knead until the dough is very smooth, about 15 minutes.
- Grease a cast iron frying pan, including the sides, and press the dough into
- Bake on top of the stove over low heat. Watch carefully so that the bread
does not brown or burn before the center is cooked.
- When the bread is free from
the pan, turn the loaf over and continue to cook. The total cooking time will be
about 10 minutes on each side.