Londonderry Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds beef steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, chopped
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- Boil some water in a large saucepan, sufficient to cover the meat, and have approximately
1 inch left above.
- Put in the large chunks of meat, and lower the heat to keep the stew simmering.
- Put in the chopped or diced carrots and parsnips.
- Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add peeled whole potatoes and some stock/soup mixture or cornstarch to thicken.
Keep the mixture simmering and stir occasionally.
- After about an hour from start time, taste it and check the potatoes.