This gingerbread from England stores well in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
Blend in the oatmeal.
- Place the syrup, butter and sugar in a saucepan. Heat until just blended.
Stir into the dry mixture.
- Beat the egg with the milk. Add to the mixture. Pour into a lightly greased
8-inch square cake pan.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for 1 1/4 hours (or until firm in the middle).
- Cool before serving.
Yield: one (8-inch) square cake
Recipe is from the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa