Ploughman's Soup (England)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup light ale (do not substitute beer)
- Dash or two of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled Cheshire cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vidalia onion rings or slices of scallion (for garnish)
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy pan.
- Gently sauté the onion until golden.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, then gradually whisk in the stock and ale.
- Return to the heat and bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the cheese. Stir in the remaining cheese, a bit at a time
(keeping the heat low), until the cheese is all melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each bowl with the reserved cheese and the onions.