This is an old Scottish recipe meaning rumbled, or mashed, potatoes and thumped,
or pounded, together, according to Virginia Peet.
- 1 pound potatoes
- 1 pound cabbage
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Peel, chop and boil potatoes until tender.
- Finely chop cabbage and sauté with onion in melted butter.
- Mash potatoes by hand; don't make too creamy.
- Fold in sautéed cabbage and onion and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Serves 6 as a side dish.