This became known as "salad-magundy" and "Solomon Gundy"
in the United States. It is best made in a glass bowl so that the colors can be
- 1 small bunch fresh spinach (orother greens), washed and shredded
- 1 can anchovies, minced
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced Smithfield or other smoked ham
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 hard cooked eggs, whites and yolks chopped separately
- 3 lemons
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Place spinach in bottom of the bowl for a green "bed."
- Add in layers the anchovies, chicken, ham, celery, egg whites and yolks,
and pulp and chopped peel from 2 of the lemons.
- Thinly slice remaining lemon.
- Top bowl with parsley, put the horseradish in a mound in the center, and
surround it with overlapping lemon slices.
- Dressing: Beat together all ingredients.
- Pour into a bowl and serve with the salad.
Makes 4 to 8 servings.