- 2 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Granulated sugar
- Mix and sift dry ingredients.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender.
- Add buttermilk to egg, reserving 1 tablespoon of the egg white. Beat until blended.
- Pour into dry ingredients all at once. Stir. Mix to moisten.
- Toss dough on a lightly floured bread board. Pat lightly and roll 3/4-inch thick.
- Cut into squares or rounds with a floured knife.
- Beat remaining egg white with 1 teaspoon water. Brush each scone with mixture.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake on a cookie sheet at 425 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.