- 1 (1 1/2 pound) boneless lamb shoulder
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup diced rutabaga or turnip
- Minced parsley
- Trim fat from lamb; cut lamb into 3/4-inch cubes.
- Heat lamb, water, barley, salt
and pepper to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add vegetables to lamb mixture. Cover and simmer until lamb and vegetables are
tender, about 30 minutes.
- Skim fat if necessary.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Yields 6 servings.