Serve these plain or with butter, honey or jam. As a snack, they can be topped
with cheese, meat or smoked fish. With the addition of sugar, they become
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup regular or quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut shortening into oats, flour, baking soda and salt until mixture resembles
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a stiff dough.
- Roll until 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 2 1/2-inch rounds or squares.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until oatcakes start to brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
Oatcake Cookies: Prepare as directed, adding 1/3 cup sugar with the flour.