Scottish Raspberry Oatcake Rounds
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup oats or quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to
3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup red raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup confectioners'
- Cut shortening into oats, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt until mixture resembles
- Add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a stiff
- Roll until 1/2 inch thick on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut 9 (2 1/2-inch)
rounds with a biscuit cutter and 9 (2 1/2-inch) rounds with a doughnut cutter.
on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until oatcakes start to brown,
12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Spread raspberry jam on oatcakes cut with the biscuit cutter; place oatcake cut
with doughnut cutter on top.
- Fill centers with raspberry jam.
- Dust tops of oatcakes
with confectioners' sugar.