Scottish-Style Roast Chicken (Howtowdie)
This is traditionally served with "skirlie," a stuffing of oats and
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) broiler-fryer chicken
- 6 medium onions, cut into halves
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Prepare Oat Stuffing. Cook and stir onion in butter in 10-inch skillet over
medium heat until light brown.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook and stir
until oats are golden brown and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Fill wishbone area of chicken with stuffing. Fasten neck skin to back with
skewer. Fold wings across back with tips touching. Fill body cavity lightly,
without packing. Tie or skewer drumsticks to tail.
- Place chicken, breast side up, in shallow roasting pan.
- Arrange onions around chicken.
- Brush chicken and onions with butter.
- Roast uncovered at 375 degrees F, brushing chicken and onions several times
with remaining butter until chicken and onions are done, about 1 1/2 hours.
Yield: 6 servings