The name of these scones is derived from the way they were supposed to have "sung"
when cooked over an open fire.
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- Rind of 1/2 lemon,
- Dredge the currants in two tablespoons of flour.
- Resift remaining flour with
- Cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Mix egg with one tablespoon of water and add to flour along with the sour cream,
currants, and lemon rind. Mix well.
- Divide dough into 24 balls. Flatten to round
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet in a preheated 425 degrees F oven for about
12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.