Smoked Haddock with Rice (Kedgeree - England)
This was originally an Indian dish that the English adopted. It can be served
for brunch or supper.
- 4 hardboiled eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound smoked haddock or cod
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Minced parsley
- Separate egg yolks from whites.
- Press yolks through sieve; chop whites.
- Heat water, rice and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling, stirring once or twice; reduce heat.
Cover and simmer 14 minutes without lifting cover or stirring.
- Remove from heat. Fluff rice lightly with fork; cover and let steam 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cover fish with cold water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10
- Break fish into large flakes with fork, removing any bones and skin. Keep warm.
- Cook and stir onion in butter in 10-inch skillet until tender.
- Stir in chopped egg white, rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the red pepper. stir in flaked fish gently.
- Serve on heated platter; sprinkle with egg yolk and parsley.
Yield: 8 servings