- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more sugar for coating
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup apple juice*
- 2 1/2 cups finely ground vanilla wafers
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Candied cherry halves
* For "grown-up" sugarplums, substitute brandy for the apple juice.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup sugar, the corn syrup and the apple juice.
- Off the heat, stir in the wafer crumbs and pecans to make a paste-like mixture.
- Let mixture cool enough to handle.
- Roll small bits of mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Roll each ball in the additional sugar.
- Press a candied cherry half into top center of each ball.
- Store in an airtight container. These cookies improve with age.
Makes about 48.