This is properly served with rare roast beef. It can also be used as a hot dessert
and served with warm maple syrup. This must be eaten as soon as it is removed from
the oven while crisp.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, place the flour. Make a well in the middle and break the egg
into it, then beat.
- Slowly add all the milk and water and beat to a smooth consistency.
- Place a little of the shortening in each hole of a 12-hole popover tin (about 1/2
teaspoon in each) and put the tin in the oven for 2 minutes so the shortening melts.
- Remove the tin from the oven and place it over a low flame on top of the stove.
- Distribute the batter in each popover hole. As you pour in the batter, it will sizzle.
- Put popover tin in the hot oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. The popovers will
rise dramatically and be crisp and brown on the top.
- Serve immediately.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Great Britain Recipes