- Phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups almonds, slivered and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups butter or margarine
- Whole cloves
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 piece lemon peel
- 5 or 6 whole cloves
- Baklava: Mix sugar, cinnamon and almonds.
- Melt the butter, then butter the pan. Lay one sheet of dough in pan. Butter phyllo
sheet, then lay another on top of that. Continue until you have buttered 5 or 6
sheets. Lay another sheet, but do NOT butter it. Place an even thin layer of almond
mix. Lay another sheet of dough, butter it, and then another, unbuttered. On that
place some almond mix again. Repeat until all the mix is gone, or you have only
4 or 5 sheets of dough left. Fold in the dough that hangs from the side of the pan.
Lay down more sheets of dough, buttering each one and cutting off edges that hang
from the sides of the pan. Be sure you butter the top sheet very well. Sprinkle
some water over the top before baking. Score with sharp knife. Stick cloves between
scores, so that it keeps the sheets of dough together.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown, and the edges
no longer touch the wall of the pan. Start syrup only after baklava has come out
of the oven.
- Syrup: Heat sugar, water, honey, cinnamon, lemon peel and cloves in a pan over
medium heat Until all is melted and combined well. Bring to a boil, then let simmer
about 10 minutes.
- Pour the hot syrup over the cool baklava.