Amygdalopita (Greek Nut Cake)
- 14 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pound almond meats, ground
- 2 1/2 cups toasted bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 5 whole cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cake: Beat eggs, add sugar with egg beater. Add baking powder and vanilla extract.
- Mix half of the almonds with bread crumbs, rubbing together between palms. Add a
little at a time to other mixture.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Pour mixture
into pan, then top with rest of almonds. Sprinkle cinnamon over all.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the syrup.
- Syrup: Boil syrup ingredients until mixture thickens slightly.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and cut vertical slits in cake approximately
2 inches apart. Then cut diagonal slits. Pour syrup over it and let soak until cool.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.