Amygdalopita (Greek Nut Cake)
- 14 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pound almond meats, ground
- 2 1/2 cups toasted bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups water
- 5 whole cloves
of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat eggs, add sugar with egg beater. Add baking powder and vanilla extract.
- Mix half of the almonds with bread crumbs, rubbing together between palms. Add a
little at a time to other mixture.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Pour mixture
into pan, then top with rest of almonds. Sprinkle cinnamon over all.
- ake for 25
- In the meantime, prepare the syrup.
- Boil syrup ingredients until mixture thickens slightly.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and cut vertical slits in cake approximately
2 inches apart. Then cut diagonal slits. Pour syrup over it and let soak until cool.