Athenian Salad (Salata Athenas)
- 1 medium head lettuce
- 1 bunch romaine
- 10 radishes, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 6 scallions (with tops), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 24 Greek or ripe green olives
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 (2 ounce) can rolled anchovies with capers, drained
- Tear lettuce and romaine into bite-size pieces. Place lettuce, romaine, radishes,
cucumber and scallions in large plastic bag. Close bag tightly and refrigerate.
Shake oil, vinegar, salt and oregano in tightly covered jar; refrigerate.
- Just before serving, shake dressing. Add dressing and olives to vegetables in
bag. Close bag tightly and shake until ingredients are well coated. Pour salad into
large bowl; top with cheese and anchovies.
Yields 8 servings.