Baked Macaroni with Beef
and Cheese (Pasticcio)
- 2 cups uncooked ziti or elbow macaroni
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated Kasseri, Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cook macaroni as directed on package; drain. Cook and stir beef and onion in
10-inch skillet until beef is light brown; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and salt.
Spread half the macaroni in a greased 8-inch square baking dish; cover with beef
- Mix 1/2 cup of the cheese and cinnamon. Sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover
with remaining macaroni.
- Cook and stir milk and butter in 2-quart saucepan until butter is melted. Stir
at least half the milk mixture gradually into beaten eggs. Blend into milk mixture
in saucepan; pour over macaroni. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 325 degrees F until brown and center is set, about 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Yields 6 servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.