Baklava is one of the most famous Greek pastries.
- 2 pounds phyllo
- 2 pounds walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 slices lemon
- Baklava: Mix together chopped nuts, cinnamon and sugar. Grease an 18-inch baking
pan and line with 6 layers of phyllo. Cover with thin layer of nut mixture, then top with 1 layer of phyllo. Repeat until all nut mixture is used. Top with 6 layers of phyllo. Cut into diamond-shaped pieces. Place a clove bud in each diamond shape. Pour melted butter over all.
- Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 300 degrees F until brown, then reduce to 250 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and pour cool syrup over all.
- Syrup: Boil for 25 minutes and let cool. Pour COOL syrup over HOT Baklava!