Beef and Onion Stew (Stifado)
A traditional Greek Beef and Onion Stew makes a comforting cold-weather meal.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 pound) boneless beef chuck, tip or round, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely-ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds pearl onions, peeled
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Cook and stir chopped onion and garlic in oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until onion is tender; remove with slotted spoon.
- Cook beef in remaining oil, stirring frequently, until all liquid is evaporated and beef is brown on all sides, about 25 minutes; drain fat.
- Return onion and garlic to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients except onions and cheese. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add white onions. Cover and simmer until beef and white onions are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon. Garnish with feta cheese, if desired.