Beef and Onion Stew (Stifado)
A traditional Greek stew makes a comforting cold-weather meal.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2 pound) boneless beef chuck, tip or round, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely-ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds pearl onions, peeled
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Cook and stir chopped onion and garlic in oil in Dutch oven over medium heat
until onion is tender; remove with slotted spoon.
- Cook beef in remaining oil, stirring frequently, until all liquid is evaporated and
beef is brown on all sides, about 25 minutes; drain fat.
- Return onion and garlic to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining
ingredients except onions and cheese. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add white onions. Cover and simmer until beef and white onions are tender, about
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon. Garnish with feta cheese, if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.