Bobota (Greek Corn Cakes with Syrup)
This recipe uses a box mix which modern Greek ladies use to make this delicious
but unsual corn/bread/cake dessert.
- 1/2 pound butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 (8.5 ounce) boxes corn muffin mix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 lemon slices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Maraschino cherries
- Cream butter and beat in sugar well. Beat in 6 yolks and add and stir, do not
beat in: muffin mix, milk, baking powder, salt and extract. Fold in stiffly beaten
- Pour into a greased 10 x 15-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or
- Remove from oven and cool to warm.
- Cut into squares on the diagonal. Pour over
the hot syrup which was previously boiled until thick for about 20 minutes.
with almonds and garnish each piece with a maraschino cherry.
For a richer cake, prepare the above recipe but only use 1 box mix and
1 cup milk, plus remaining ingredients. Pour into a 9 x 13-inch pan, and bake 35
to 40 minutes.