Bobota (Greek Corn Cakes with Syrup)
This recipe uses a box mix which modern Greek ladies use to make this delicious
but unsual corn/bread/cake dessert.
- 1/2 pound butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 (8.5 ounce) boxes corn muffin mix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 lemon slices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Maraschino cherries
- Cream butter and beat in sugar well. Beat in 6 yolks and add and stir, do not
beat in: muffin mix, milk, baking powder, salt and extract. Fold in stiffly beaten
- Pour into a greased 10 x 15-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or
- Remove from oven and cool to warm.
- Cut into squares on the diagonal. Pour over
the hot syrup which was previously boiled until thick for about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds and garnish each piece with a maraschino cherry.
For a richer cake, prepare the above recipe but only use 1 box mix and
1 cup milk, plus remaining ingredients. Pour into a 9 x 13-inch pan, and bake 35
to 40 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.