Braised Chicken in Aromatic Tomato
This dish is one that evolved from Corfu to stretch scant supplies of meat. Consisting
of chicken, turkey, beef or veal braised in tomato sauce fragrant with spices, it
is served over thick tubular pasta from Corfu called "perciatellli" (if
you can't find it, use spaghetti). Kefalotyri is a nutty tasting hard cheese
similar to Parmesan. It is available at Greek markets.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (3 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 cups chopped red onions
- 6 whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole Italian-style tomatoes, drained, juices reserved, tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon (or more) red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 12 ounces perciatelli pasta or spaghetti
- Freshly grated kefalotyri cheese or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches
and cook until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch.
- Place chicken on platter. Add onions to Dutch oven; sauté until tender, about
5 minutes. Add spices; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and
their juices and water. Return chicken to Dutch oven. Cover; simmer over medium-low
heat until chicken is very tender, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter. Tent with foil. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar, tomato
paste and sugar to Dutch oven. Simmer until thickened to sauce consistency, stirring
occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and more vinegar, if desired.
Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to
bite. Drain. Transfer pasta to platter. Top with chicken, sauce and cheese.
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grecian Recipes