Chicken Gyros with Dill Sauce
Chicken Gyros with Dill Sauce is a traditional Greek sandwich.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 fresh pita bread rounds, heated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In small bowl blend together yogurt, 2 tablespoons dill, garlic and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken with oregano, 1 teaspoon dill, salt and pepper. Sauté until browned and cooked through, about about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and sauté onions until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken and any juices to skillet. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Stir until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Top pita rounds with chicken mixture. Spoon dill sauce over chicken and serve. This sandwich is folded in half and eaten. Pass the extra sauce, as desired.