Chicken Gyros with Dill Sauce
This is a traditional Greek sandwich.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 fresh pita bread rounds, heated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In small bowl blend together yogurt, 2 tablespoons dill, garlic and 1 teaspoon
lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken
with oregano, 1 teaspoon dill, salt and pepper. Sauté until browned and cooked through,
about about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and sauté
onions until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken and any juices to skillet. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Stir
until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Top pita rounds with chicken mixture. Spoon dill sauce over chicken and serve.
This sandwich is folded in half and eaten. Pass the extra sauce, as desired.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grecian Recipes