This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives
(Kotopoulo me Tomatoes kai Elies)
- Flour (for dredging)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (3 pound) frying chicken, cut into 6 to 8 serving pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large red onions, peeled, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Combine flour, salt and pepper on a plate and lightly dredge the chicken.
- Heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a large, deep skillet and brown the chicken on all sides, over
high heat. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add remaining olive oil to skillet, and sauté onions until wilted and lightly
browned. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Place chicken back in the pan. Pour
in the tomatoes and wine, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over
low heat for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Ten minutes before removing from heat, add the crumbled feta and stir until melted.
Five minutes before removing from heat, add olives and oregano.
- Serve warm.
Yields 6 servings.