- 2 cups chopped slivered almonds
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 pound sweet butter, melted
- 1 pound chocolate phyllo dough (Pegasus brand preferred)
- In a large bowl, mix together almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, brandy and mini chocolate
chips. Brush sides and bottom of a 12 x 18 x 2-inch pan with butter using a pastry
- Open phyllo sheets and set aside 10 sheets for top layer. Place 6 to 8 filo sheets
in pan, brushing each layer with butter. Spread evenly with 1/3 of nut filling.
Top with 3 sheets of filo, brushing each with butter. Spread with another 1/3 of
filling and top with 3 more sheets buttered filo. Repeat using remaining filling
and 3 more buttered sheets filo.
- Then top with 10 remaining, reserved filo sheets, brushing each with a lot of
butter. Cut through to bottom of baklava with a sharp knife making diagonal lines
to form diamond shapes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven 50 to 60 minutes.
While still hot pour COLD syrup slowly over baklava, using entire amount. Let stand
until cool. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or keep refrigerated (will keep
up to a week).
- Syrup: In a large saucepan, combine 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 2 cups water,
2 (4-inch) cinnamon sticks, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and juice, rind and pulp of
1/2 orange. Heat to boiling and boil about 10 minutes or until syrup is reduced
to about 3 1/2 cups. Remove from heat. Cool completely. Strain out and discard orange
rind and pulp and cinnamon sticks. Refrigerate until using (can be prepared a day
in advance and refrigerated).
Makes 48 pieces.