- 2 cups chopped slivered almonds
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 pound sweet butter, melted
- 1 pound chocolate phyllo dough (Pegasus brand preferred)
- In a large bowl, mix together almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, brandy and mini chocolate
chips. Brush sides and bottom of a 12 x 18 x 2-inch pan with butter using a pastry
- Open phyllo sheets and set aside 10 sheets for top layer. Place 6 to 8 filo sheets
in pan, brushing each layer with butter. Spread evenly with 1/3 of nut filling.
Top with 3 sheets of filo, brushing each with butter. Spread with another 1/3 of
filling and top with 3 more sheets buttered filo. Repeat using remaining filling
and 3 more buttered sheets filo.
- Then top with 10 remaining, reserved filo sheets, brushing each with a lot of
butter. Cut through to bottom of baklava with a sharp knife making diagonal lines
to form diamond shapes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven 50 to 60 minutes.
While still hot pour COLD syrup slowly over baklava, using entire amount. Let stand
until cool. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or keep refrigerated (will keep
up to a week).
- Syrup: In a large saucepan, combine 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 2 cups water,
2 (4-inch) cinnamon sticks, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and juice, rind and pulp of
1/2 orange. Heat to boiling and boil about 10 minutes or until syrup is reduced
to about 3 1/2 cups. Remove from heat. Cool completely. Strain out and discard orange
rind and pulp and cinnamon sticks. Refrigerate until using (can be prepared a day
in advance and refrigerated).
Makes 48 pieces.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.