- 2 cups chopped slivered almonds
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 pound sweet butter, melted
- 1 pound chocolate phyllo dough (Pegasus brand preferred)
- In a large bowl, mix together almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, brandy and mini chocolate
chips. Brush sides and bottom of a 12 x 18 x 2-inch pan with butter using a pastry brush.
- Open phyllo sheets and set aside 10 sheets for top layer. Place 6 to 8 filo sheets in pan, brushing each layer with butter. Spread evenly with 1/3 of nut filling. Top with 3 sheets of filo, brushing each with butter. Spread with another 1/3 of filling and top with 3 more sheets buttered filo. Repeat using remaining filling and 3 more buttered sheets filo.
- Then top with 10 remaining, reserved filo sheets, brushing each with a lot of butter. Cut through to bottom of baklava with a sharp knife making diagonal lines to form diamond shapes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven 50 to 60 minutes. While still hot pour COLD syrup slowly over baklava, using entire amount. Let stand until cool. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or keep refrigerated (will keep
up to a week).
- Syrup: In a large saucepan, combine 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 2 cups water, 2 (4-inch) cinnamon sticks, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and juice, rind and pulp of 1/2 orange. Heat to boiling and boil about 10 minutes or until syrup is reduced to about 3 1/2 cups. Remove from heat. Cool completely. Strain out and discard orange rind and pulp and cinnamon sticks. Refrigerate until using (can be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated).
Yield: 48 pieces