Chopped Meat Pies (Pitta Me Kima)
- 2 pounds chopped lamb
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds tomatoes, peeled or 1 tablespoon tomato paste with 1 cup water
- 1 piece stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices toast
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 pound phyllo
- Brown meat, half the butter, and onions in large pot, stirring with a wooden
spoon to break up meat. Add tomatoes (or diluted tomato paste) cinnamon, parsley,
salt and pepper. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, soak toast in milk, then mash with fork. Remove cinnamon stick and
add milk-toast mixture to the meat, remove from the heat. Add cheese and eggs, and
- Melt remaining butter. Butter a pan about. 2 inches smaller than the phyllo.
Put 7 to 8 phyllo sheets, buttering each before adding it, into the pan, letting
phyllo extend on all sides. Pour in meat mixture and spread it evenly. Fold overlapping
phyllo back onto meat. Butter these well. Carefully cut remaining sheets of phyllo
to fit the top of the pan. Brush each with butter and lay on the filling to make
the top of the pita. Pour on any remaining butter and sprinkle the top very lightly
with a little water (to keep phyllo from rising too high).
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool for about 30 minutes, and cut into squares to serve.
It is easier to cut this if you score it lightly before baking.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grecian Recipes