Cinnamon Chicken (Kota Kapama)
- 8 pieces chicken
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped or minced garlic
- 6 fresh garden tomatoes or 1 cup chopped, drained, canned plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (4-inch long) cinnamon stick
- Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Grind some sea salt and black pepper over the chicken pieces.
- Heat the butter and olive oil over moderate heat in a sauté pan, and brown the
chicken pieces. Transfer them to a plate.
- Pour off all but a thin film of fat add the onions and garlic. Cook and stir
for a few minutes until the onions are light brown. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste,
chicken stock, cinnamon stick, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and a few grindings of black
pepper. Bring to a boil, and then return the chicken to the pan and baste it thoroughly
with the sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, basting occasionally,
for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with white or brown rice or pasta. Spoon the tomato sauce over the chicken
and rice or pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.