- 1 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 jigger brandy
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves
- Chopped walnuts for garnish
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound honey
- 1 lemon, sliced or 1 orange, sliced
- Cookies: Heat oil and butter over low heat until butter is melted and mixture
is hot. Remove from heat and stir in water and brandy. Cool.
- Stir in beaten eggs.
- Sift together flour and baking powder with the tablespoon each of cinnamon and
cloves. Add to liquid mixture to make a dough that is not too soft. Add a little
more flour if necessary. With floured hands shape dough into ovals and indent lengthwise
- Combine chopped walnuts with sugar and dash each cinnamon and cloves. Put 1 teaspoon
of this filling into the indentation in the dough and close dough over filling.
Place on cookie sheets and bake in a 400 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until
golden brown. Cool.
- Dip cooled cookies into hot syrup and place on racks to drain. Decorate with
- Syrup: Combine above ingredients and boil for 5 minutes.
Makes about 6 dozen small cookies.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.