- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 edge of orange rind
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 cup farina
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 pound unsalted sweet butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 20 phyllo sheets
- Syrup: Boil for 10 minutes. Cool. Prepare this before making pastry.
- Pastry: Heat milk to scalding. Beat eggs until thick. Add farina and mix. Add
mixture to milk with 1/4 pound butter. Heat, stirring, until thickened. Remove from
heat. Add vanilla extract.
- Melt remaining butter and butter bottom and sides of a 10 x 14 x 2-inch pan.
Place 10 buttered phyllo leaves in pan. Pour farina mixture in and cover with remaining
phyllo, buttering each leaf as it is laid. Butter the top sheet very well and score
into diamond-shaped pieces. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Pour the COOLED syrup over HOT pastry.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.