- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed tarragon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup creamed cottage cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 10 (17 x 12-inch) single phyllo dough sheets, thawed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
- Cook spinach according to directions; drain well, pressing out excess liquid.
In saucepan, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons butter or margarine until tender.
Stir in flour, tarragon and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until mixture
is thickened. Stir half of mixture into eggs; return egg mixture into remaining
sauce. Add cheeses and spinach; set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough; cover with dampened towel. Remove 1 sheet of dough; brush
lightly with some of the 1/2 cup melted butter. Fold the sheet in thirds lengthwise;
brush top with butter. Place one end of the folded sheet in center of a 12- or 14-inch
pizza pan, extending it over the side of the pan. Repeat buttering of remaining
phyllo dough, arranging strips spoke fashion evenly around pan. (The ends of sheets
will overlap in center and be approximately 3 inches apart at outer ends.) Spread
spinach mixture in an 8-inch circle in center of pastry. Starting with the last
sheet of dough placed in pan, lift end of leaf up and bring toward center of filling.
Holding end with both hands, twist ends several times; coil and tuck end under to
from a rosette. Lay rosette over filling, leaving a 3-inch circle in center (center
should be visible). Repeat with remaining in reverse order they were placed. Drizzle
remaining butter over all.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm or cool. Cut into wedges to serve.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.