Greek Easter Soup with Avgolemeno Sauce
- 1/2 chicken, cut up
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 5 cups water or chicken consomm
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup rice
- Salt and pepper
Avgolemeno Sauce (Egg-Lemon Sauce)
- 7 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Soup: Boil chicken in the 3 cups water for 50 minutes. Remove from heat; strain broth
and set aside. Chop chicken into pieces.
- Cook onion, dill and parsley in butter with 1 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper
until soft and transparent, being careful not to brown. Add chopped chicken and
cook over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken broth
and enough water to make 2 quarts liquid; bring to boil and add rice. Reduce heat
and cook until rice is done. Remove from heat and blend in Avgolemeno Sauce.
- Sauce: Beat egg whites with water until stiff. Blend in egg yolks, then add lemon juice,
beating until thick. With a ladle, add a small amount of hot broth to the egg mixture,
blending quickly. Pour sauce into soup and serve immediately.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.