Greek Easter Soup with Avgolemeno Sauce
- 1/2 chicken, cut up
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 5 cups water or chicken consomm
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup rice
- Salt and pepper
Avgolemeno Sauce (Egg-Lemon Sauce)
- 7 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Juice of 3 lemons
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Soup: Boil chicken in the 3 cups water for 50 minutes. Remove from heat; strain broth
and set aside. Chop chicken into pieces.
- Cook onion, dill and parsley in butter with 1 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper
until soft and transparent, being careful not to brown. Add chopped chicken and
cook over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken broth
and enough water to make 2 quarts liquid; bring to boil and add rice. Reduce heat
and cook until rice is done. Remove from heat and blend in Avgolemeno Sauce.
- Sauce: Beat egg whites with water until stiff. Blend in egg yolks, then add lemon juice,
beating until thick. With a ladle, add a small amount of hot broth to the egg mixture,
blending quickly. Pour sauce into soup and serve immediately.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grecian Recipes