Greek Orange Cake in Orange Syrup (Pontica)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- First make the syrup by combining the orange juice, water and sugar in saucepan.
Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove the syrup
from the stove and allow to go cold.
- Butter an 8 x 12-inch baking pan with all the melted butter. Mix the flour and
baking powder together in a small bowl. Beat the egg whites until stiff and they
can form a peak.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks until light yellow; add the sugar, orange
rind and vanilla and blend well.
- To the egg yolk mixture add the egg whites a little at a time, alternating with
2 tablespoons of flour mixture until all used. Pour the batter into the pre-buttered
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove the cake from
the baking pan and cut into diamond shapes. Place the cake pieces on a large plate
that will trap the syrup when poured over.
- Pour the cooled syrup over the still warm cake. Allow the cake to cool completely
Yield: about 15 pieces
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.