Greek Sesame Bread
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons lukewarm milk
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Combine the water, oil, milk, and yeast in a mixing bowl and stir to dissolve
the yeast. Add 1 cup of the flour and the salt and beat with an electric mixer for
2 minutes. Add the remaining flour and beat to form a stiff dough. Knead the dough
on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl,
cover with a dish towel, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- Punch the dough down and form into a round loaf on a lightly-floured baking sheet.
- Beat the egg with the milk and brush the dough with the mixture. Sprinkle with sesame
seeds, and cut a deep cross in the top of the loaf with a very sharp knife or razor
blade. Cover and allow to rise until double in volume.
- Place a cake pan with 1 inch of water in it on the bottom shelf of the oven and
preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the loaf for 15 minutes, then reduce the
heat to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 15 minutes, until golden brown. Test
for doneness by thumping the bottom of the loaf - it should produce a hollow sound.
- Cool on a rack.
Makes 1 loaf.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.