Greek Trinity Loaf
This traditional Greek Easter bread acquires its name from its shape. According
to Greek tradition, the bread is cut when the entire family is seated at the Easter
table. Each person receives one thin slice from each of the three loaves.
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 packages RapidRise or fast-acting yeast
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water (70 to 80 degrees F)
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, cut up
- 2 whole eggs plus 1 separated egg (divided)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, anise seed and
- Heat water and butter until very warm (120 to 130 degrees F); stir into dry ingredients.
Stir in 2 eggs, 1 egg yolk (reserve egg white) and enough remaining flour to make
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- To shape and bake dough: Remove 1/2 cup dough; reserve. Knead raisins into remaining
dough; divide into 3 equal pieces. Form each into smooth ball; arrange on greased
baking sheet in the shape of a 3-leaf clover.
- Divide reserved dough into 4 equal pieces; roll each into 10-inch rope. Place
2 ropes side by side; twist together, pinching ends to seal.
- Repeat with remaining ropes.
- Arrange twisted ropes on 3-leaf clover in the form of a cross, tucking ends under.
Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60
- Lightly beat reserved egg white; brush on dough.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake bread for 30 to 35 minutes or until done, covering with foil after 10 minutes
to prevent excess browning.
- Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf.
Bread machine method: (For 1 1/2- or 2-pound bread machines.) Using 3 1/4 cups
bread flour and 3 teaspoons rapid-rise or fast-acting yeast, add ingredients to
bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Process on dough/manual
When cycle is complete, remove dough to floured surface. If necessary, knead
in additional flour to make dough easy to handle. Proceed as directed above to shape
and bake dough.
Calories: 205 per 1 of 14 slices (10% from protein, 65% from carbohydrate,
25% from fat) Protein: 5 grams; Total fat: 5.8 grams; Saturated fat: 3.1 grams;
Cholesterol: 57 mg; Sodium: 225 mg; Carbohydrate: 33.9 grams; Dietary fiber: 1.5
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.