Gyros (meaning circles) are a traditional Greek sandwich.
- 8 ounces lean minced lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pita pocket breads, slit on edges
Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce
- 4 ounces plain low fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup seeded and finely chopped cucumber
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Gyros: Lightly oil a heavy based frying pan. Mix together the onion and garlic and fry
gently until soft.
- Put the minced lamb in a mixing bowl, add the onion mixture together with the
oregano, cumin and lemon juice then mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture into two and shape into patties.
- Cook the patties under a preheated grill for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
- Carve the patties into thin slices and serve in pita pockets with the onion, tomato and cucumber sauce.
- Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce: Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.