Kourambiethes (Greek Butter Cookies)
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract*
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Whole cloves
- Confectioners' sugar
- In large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter, sugar, egg yolks
and extracts until light and fluffy. Add flour and nuts. Mix well with hands.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. With hands, shape
each half into a 16-inch long roll. Cut each roll into 16 pieces, then shape into
balls. Press a whole clove into each piece. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until cookies are set but not brown.
- Remove cookies to a wire rack and sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar
while still warm. Cool.
- Before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar again.
* 2 teaspoons ouzo (anise-flavored liqueur) or brandy or may be substituted for
the vanilla extract.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grecian Recipes