Lamb with Rice (Atzem Pilafi)
- 3 pounds lamb, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, strained, or 1 tablespoon tomato paste diluted with 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups raw rice
- Wash and dry meat.
- Brown 2/3 of the butter in large pot. Add meat and brown on all sides. Add onions
and continue to cook until they become a light golden color. Add tomatoes or diluted
tomato paste, and the salt, pepper and water. Cover pot and simmer until meat is
tender, about 1 hour. Put meat into casserole and keep it warm.
- Strain sauce; measure it. Add water if necessary to make 8 or 9 cups. Pour into
large pot and bring to a boil. Add rice. Stir at the start to prevent sticking.
Cover and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove
from heat. Add meat and mix well. Brown remaining butter and pour it over the rice.
- Cover pot with a clean towel, then cover towel with pot lid. Let stand for 5
- Serve hot.
Serves 6 to 10.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.