Melomakarouna (Honey Cookies
Stuffed with Dates and Nuts)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 pounds flour
- 2 sticks (1 cup) sweet, unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups Wesson oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Flour (about 1 pound more)
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 pound chopped dates
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 slice lemon (1/2 lemon)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups honey
- Add pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon baking powder to 2 pounds of flour.
- Beat 2 sticks sweet (unsalted) butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar well. Add 2 cups of
Wesson oil slowly, beating well. Add 1 egg and beat. Add 1 teaspoon baking soda
to 1 1/2 cups orange juice and add quickly to mixture. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Add flour to mixture until dough is soft but not sticky. You will use about another
pound of flour, (about 3 pounds of flour in all).
- Prepare filling. Combine 2 cups chopped nuts, 1 pound chopped dates, 1 tablespoon
cinnamon, 2 tablespoons honey. Take 1 tablespoon dough and put about 1/2 teaspoon
filling in center and then fold dough over to seal in filling. Bake at 350 degrees
F until brown.
- Prepare syrup. Boil 3 cups sugar and 4 cups of water with one slice lemon (1/2
lemon), 1 cinnamon stick until syrupy, about 15 minutes. Add 2 cups honey.
- Dip cold cookies into warm syrup or dip warm cookies into cold syrup.
- Dip each cookie into honey and then into ground nuts mixed with cinnamon.
Yields about 100 cookies.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grecian Recipes